Client: Sony Europe
Service provided: Insights
- To monitor all media and consumer mentions of the Sony Tablet during its global announcement at a leading consumer electronics exposition in Summer 2011
- Apply real-time social media insights to inform and drive the Sony Tablet marketing campaign
Tempero social media analysts provided live monitoring of Sony Tablet mentions in 8 languages during the press conference announcement and normal business hours across the duration of IFA 2011.
Tempero delivered key influencer comments from advocates and critics to Sony Euope stakeholders (communications, marketing, product managers, social media and country managers) who were on the exhibition floor or closely following the trending buzz.
Tempero monitored web mentions of the Sony Tablet and competitor activity at IFA 2011 across various European markets prior to, and for a month after the event, to help answer in ‘near’ real-time the following:
- How are people reacting to the Tablet press conference?
- What key topics are people talking about (in context of the Tablet announcements)?
- Where are the conversations taking place?
- Who are the key bloggers, conversation drivers and influencers? (Include influence score where applicable)
Key Sony personnel were able to reach out to Key influencers during the show to clarify information, to forge deeper relationships between Key Influencers and Sony, and to test the role of live social intelligence in future Sony activities in 2011 and 2012.
The IFA 2011 performance results are now being used as a benchmark against other products, and have informed cross-media and cross-market media strategies.
Sony was able to see its performance against other competitor product launches
A final report determined the launch profile of a new product which was then compared across other Sony product announcements at IFA or in 2011 as well as competitors.
Key lessons learned:
1. Invest in ‘social media tools’ training for all key personnel on how to leverage various media channels (Paid, Owned, Earned) for important product announcements.
2. Integrate any buzz performance tracking with search results, PR, market research and broadcast/print activities to better understand the contributions of social media to amplifying awareness of a product announcement.